07 January 2013

Week 1 of my personal recipe challenge

In 2011 one of my New Year's resolutions was to try one new recipe each week. For the most part I did very well with this resolution and even into 2012 I continued.   One thing I wish I would have done though is keep better track of those that I made.  So through 2013 I will again be making a new recipe each week only this time, record the ones I've tried, any thing I'd do differently and how we liked it.
This week the recipe was chosen by The Big Guy.  We were on a short road trip and I was reading the January issue of Food Network Magazine when he looked over and saw the picture of 'Nacho Chicken Drumsticks' and replied...OH we HAVE to try those.
Sundays seem to be the days that I have the most time to experiment so yesterday I tried the recipe and neither of us was disappointed, especially not him. :-)


Nacho Chicken Drumsticks from food network magazine
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 9 oz bag tortilla chips finely crushed ( I used about 5 cups)
4 large eggs
12 medium chicken drumsticks
Vegetable oil for frying
Salt
1 1/2 Cups grated cheddar, jack or muenster cheese ( I used cheddar)
Fresh salsa, guacamole and sliced jalapenos for topping

Put the flour in a large bowl.  Put the crushed chips in another large bowl and whisk the eggs in a third bowl. Coat each drumstick with flour. One at a time, dip each drumstick in the beaten egg and then dredge in the crushed chips turning to coat.  Place on a baking sheet until ready to fry.
Pre heat oven to 425 degrees.  Fill a large pan with 3 inches of vegetable oil and heat over medium high heat until a deep fry thermometer registers 350 degrees.  Working in batches, fry the drumsticks until golden and cooked through, about 15 minutes.  Drain on paper towels.

Arrange the drumsticks on a large ovenproof pan and sprinkle with the cheese.  Bake until the cheese melts, about 4 or 5 minutes.  to with salsa, guacamole and jalapenos.

ENJOY!!


Week 1 was a success.  It isn't something we will eat often but I see it being requested during football season. 

No comments:

Post a Comment