01 November 2009


I have started watching Planet Greens show The 100 Mile Food Challenge. I haven't read the book yet, but it is now on my list because I am really enjoying the show. While I was watching it the first night my husband came in and wanted to know what it was all about. After I explained to him the details his remark was 'you mean they don't have a Wal Mart or Kroger within 100 miles?' Yes folks, sad but true.

Now in all fairness to my husband, he is a wonderful man, with wonderful characteristics. He does care about food quality, the earth and many other things but he doesn't do the cooking or the shopping so he just doesn't think about food in the same way that I do. Sadly, his way of thinking goes along with millions of others who only look at the grocery store as their source of food.

We have been eating a lot of organic/local meals but that was easier when the garden and farmers market were full of fresh local fruits and veggies. I am just learning to can and preserve so my stash is not that big this year. I will be reading up on it this winter and learning as much as I can so that next year I will be prepared when the fresh fruits and veggies are abundant.

Watching the show made me think about my location. My biggest problem isn't necessarily that my 100 mile area doesn't grow most of the things that we need. My problem has been locating these individuals that do so and are willing to sell their goods. I have a place within the 100 miles to get grass fed beef at a great cost but I cannot find anyone with local milk, cheese or eggs. This is a rural area with many Amish and Mennonite families, I know there has to be somewhere that I can get these products. I just have to keep searching. Searching and learning.






























No comments:

Post a Comment